Believe it or not, the colour and condition of your garage will significantly affect the appearance of your home, so painting is a must if your garage requires an upgrade. Whether your garage door is old or you don’t love its current colour, painting can be the perfect solution, and the following tips will help you do this right:
- Seal any cracks and seams. This must be your first step; otherwise, your paint coats will appear uneven, and cracks will still show even after you are done painting. To prevent this from happening, seal your cracks and seams before you start painting and use painter’s caulk to fill the gaps using a caulk gun. Silicone should be avoided as the paint will not stick to it, and completing this step will drastically improve the overall look of your garage.
- Select a colour you like. While you won’t be living inside your garage, it is still vital that you like the look of your walls, so choose a colour you love as this will provide your garage with a more personalized feel.
- Stick to neutrals. If you’re looking for a safe bet, neutrals are the way to go, so consider beige, ivory, brown, tan, white or gray. These tones are universally pleasing, so they would work to your advantage if you decide to sell your home in the future, as potential buyers will notice and appreciate this aspect. These colours will complement any space, including a garage, so neutrals are ideal if you don’t have a preference and want what’s best.
- Don’t forget about your garage floor. Your garage door and walls are essential, but your garage floor is also part of the process so consider painting this aspect. Like your walls, you need to make sure that there are no cracks in your flooring and will need to use concrete paint specifically made for this purpose. You will be able to choose from various colours to find something you like and be able to select a colour that matches your walls.
- Don’t forget about the exterior. If you have wood siding, you will have to regularly paint and stain this aspect as wood cannot handle harsh elements or excessive sunlight, so your colour will fade, and wood may warp if you do not care for your siding correctly. If you have vinyl siding for your garage’s exterior, you will not have to worry about the paint. It is recommended that you use the same colour as the rest of your home when painting the exterior of your garage to improve your home’s curb appeal.
If you are looking for professional results and prefer to leave this task to the experts, Demiri Painting can help! We specialize in several areas, including house and interior painting, and our experienced painting contractors will always provide you with results you love. If you are interested in a quote or require more information, contact us today!